THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday 29 January 2008

The Masque of the Red Death

Back to the laptop again for some fancy review while out in town with my other half. He took me to the Battersea Arts Centre last night to see this production called 'The Masque of the Red Death' in the style of a promonade. Funny he didn't mention to me when he gave me the tickets as part of my Xmas pressie that we would be walking around throughout the whole promenade! I was gobsmacked, I asked ' for long we're going to be walking around?' He replied '3 hours'. Thank God I didn't wear my heels as I was contemplating that option in the morning. I would of had corns by now, lol.

As soon as we step in, we are given some crazy 'scary movie' masks,
and we had to wear them throughout the whole play. I was already
thinking this something I'm not going to enjoy. Step in to some dark corridors, to be honest I was a complete chicken, I wouldn't let go of my boyfriend's hand. He thought it was so funny they way I jerked and jumped everytime an unfortunate incident was to come.

From what I understand of the story it was a short horror written by Edgar Allen Poe, this show definitely made want to get the book. I would say the event itself was very sexy yet tragic. Definitely focuses on the themes of life and of course death. The actors move very gracefully from room to room inviting us to follow them in whatever scene the audience engage in.

One of the scenes where we were in a wine refinery I actually get scared out of my wits. Basically he had a black cat made from a black cloth and used olives as eyes. Now, I don't like olives at all so he wanted me to 'taste the cats eyes'. Not about eating cats eyes, this ain't the 13th century! I hesitantly just pushed the head of the cat and the man completely made me jump out of my skin. The whole experience sets your pulse racing, you can't afford to miss a scene yet at the same time trying to keep up with the character who invites you along in a ghostly manner.

After the whole scaryness is over, we are all lead into a ballroom with all the characters dancing from the burlesque, contemporary to ballroom style. Very entertaining as they drag you onto the dancefloor too. I must admit I really liked the way the actors moved, wasn't overdone, or underdone was so graceful.

If you're into getting scared come to this one, you'll for sure get your pulse racing. Please do not wears any heels, they will literally kill you! Check out the website it's running until April so you better be quick on this one; http://www.bac.org.uk/whatson.php?view=current. Plus, if you fancy working on those legs while watching an authentic production this is the one for you. Imagine you're keeping fit while watching a show, not about sitting on your lazy arse all the time. But maaaayne I was bloody exhausted! All the frights of my life took all the energy out me!

0 comments: